Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Greek Life


When I was an incoming freshman student, I can remember my tour guide telling me that she was involved in Greek Life. I remember thinking, what is Greek life? Never in my life before had I heard of the word, other that Greek being associated with the country Greece. When returning home from my tour, I looked up Greek Life on the universities webpage. Instantly, I realized that this was an organization that I wanted to get involved in. I knew that I would be the only student from my high school attending Southern Miss, and I saw this as a great way to meet new people and create close bonds. I had also never had a true best friend, so ultimately I had hoped that from the experience I would be able to gain this.
I attended recruitment which was two weeks before school started. During this time, I visited the houses of the different sororities located on campus. I narrowed my choices down, and was lucky enough to receive a bid from the sorority that I wanted to join. Throughout my freshman year, I began to make friends with different girls from the sorority, but I especially made one friend whom today I call my best friend.

Joining a sorority is not only a great way to meet new friends, but it is also a great way to network, especially when you graduate from college. Our sorority has many alumni who are prestigious members in our community. Sororities also do a lot to give back to their communities. One of the main things is the philanthropic event that each and every sorority hosts. Both sororities and fraternities have certain charitable organizations that they raise funds for. The sorority that I am in sponsors the Children's Miracle Network. Last year we hosted Hoops-A-Palooza and raised money to donate to our charity. We also collected stuffed animals to donate to the hospital. Through our philanthropy efforts, we along with many other sponsors, give children a hope at providing the best medical care for whatever illness they are fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment